Sunday, April 25, 2010

Trying To Get My Voice Back

I've been absent for work for the past two days because of Acute Laryngitis. Acute Laryngitis is the inflammation of the larynx or voice box which causes hoarseness or loss of voice. The most common cause of this illness is Upper Respiratory Tract Infection like common colds which is caused by a virus. I initially had a sorethroat and then developed cough and colds. I guess it was also my fault that I didn't take any decongestant right away and I continued drinking cold sodas even if I was sick. I eventually developed hoarseness and then loss of my voice. Because of this, I had to be absent because my job requires me to talk to people all the time!!!

There are 2 ways to hasten recovery from Acute Laryngitis:
1. Hydration - Drinking at least 8-12 glasses of water daily is important. Lemon juice is also beneficial. My lifesaver right now is the Ceylon teabags which I got from Marks and Spencer that I mix with Calamansi concentrate. It tastes so good that I usually drink two cups in one seating. This is what I've been drinking lately instead of my favorite cold soda (coke) or iced tea (nestea). Another remedy is by drinking ginger tea 3-5 times a day. Boil fresh ginger in water for 30 minutes. Let it cool and mix it with a honey.

Ceylon teabags from Marks and Spencer


2. Steam - To help the throat stay moist, steam inhalation is recommended. You just fill a bowl with the hot water. Drape a towel around your head and lean over the bowl. Breathe deeply for 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin